Intake and Legal Information (ILI) Caseworker
If you plan to submit an application using Google Chrome on a Mac computer, you may need to submit it in an incognito window.
The International Refugee Assistance Project (“IRAP”) is a dynamic and growing legal, policy, and advocacy organization that works to develop and enforce a system of legal and human rights for refugees and displaced people around the world. We are the leading organization that provides free and comprehensive legal services to people we serve through registration, protection, and resettlement processes.
IRAP operates offices in the U.S. (New York City and Washington D.C.), Jordan (Amman), Germany (Berlin) and Lebanon (Beirut). Our legal services are supplemented by a corps of pro bono lawyers from leading U.S. and international law firms and multinational corporations, and law students who have created IRAP chapters across the United States and Canada. Through this work, we aim to assist refugees and other displaced people to find safe passage and to transform the landscape of refugee rights in the U.S. and internationally. IRAP has over 80 full-time staff, the majority of whom are based in the New York City office. We are a nimble organization staffed by an innovative and collaborative team that is committed to high standards of quality and close partnerships with our clients, peers, and colleagues.
IRAP believes that diversity is critical to fostering a strong workplace and serving our clients well. We strongly encourage applications from people with lived experiences in the communities that we serve, members of other marginalized communities, and individuals whose identities are underrepresented in the legal profession.
ILI is seeking a Caseworker who will assist IRAP in corresponding with potential clients and in developing tools and materials to help refugees and displaced people seeking pathways to safety.
Locations: New York, DC, Remote
- Screen and respond to requests for assistance from individuals in refugee resettlement and other immigration processes.
- With supervision from appropriately accredited IRAP staff, provide legal counseling and information to refugees and SIV applicants.
- Support the in developing of automated systems for screening individuals for potential assistance.
- Use IRAP’s databases to create and maintain appropriate case records.
- Conduct intake interviews with refugees and/or other vulnerable persons remotely or in-person in English and/or another language of competency.
- Draft and submit client intake forms and referrals for submission to UNHCR or other entities.
- Liaise with IRAP’s partners on behalf of refugees requesting assistance.
Supporting ILI’s work
- Support the department’s work and projects, including through outreach to potential partner organizations, developing or translating self-help resources.
- Support the translation and editing of client-facing materials in Dari and/or Pashto.
Other duties as assigned.
- 1–2 years of professional experience in a field related to legal aid, refugees, or vulnerable populations.
- Professional proficiency in both English and Dari and/or Pashto required.
- Ability to enter, record, and track data accurately in data management systems.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Comfortable working with diverse populations.
- Prior personal or professional experience with refugees, immigrants, or immigration or refugee law.
- Ability to be sensitive to and work well with victims of trauma and violence, and maintain confidentiality and professionalism at all times.
- Microsoft Suite; Google Docs and Sheets.
SALARY: $49,014 – $64,184 depending on years of experience. This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
IRAP offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits including healthcare and retirement plans, a flexible work schedule, and vacation and sick leave.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references at this link. Application materials should be submitted in English. Your cover letter must indicate in which office you would apply to work, whether you have work authorization in that country, and your language abilities (in Dari and/or Pashto and any other relevant languages).