If you plan to submit an application using Google Chrome on a Mac computer, you may need to submit it in an incognito window.
The International Refugee Assistance Project (“IRAP”) is a dynamic and growing legal, policy, and advocacy organization that works to develop and enforce a system of legal and human rights for refugees and displaced people around the world. We are the leading organization that provides free and comprehensive legal services to people we serve through registration, protection, and resettlement processes.
IRAP operates offices in the U.S. (New York City and Washington D.C.), Jordan (Amman), Germany (Berlin) and Lebanon (Beirut). Our legal services are supplemented by a corps of pro bono lawyers from leading U.S. and international law firms and multinational corporations, and law students who have created IRAP chapters across the United States and Canada. Through this work, we aim to assist refugees and other displaced people to find safe passage and to transform the landscape of refugee rights in the U.S. and internationally. IRAP has over 80 full-time staff, the majority of whom are based in the New York City office. We are a nimble organization staffed by an innovative and collaborative team that is committed to high standards of quality and close partnerships with our clients, peers, and colleagues.
IRAP believes that diversity is critical to fostering a strong workplace and serving our clients well. We strongly encourage applications from people with lived experiences in the communities that we serve, members of other marginalized communities, and individuals whose identities are underrepresented in the legal profession.
IRAP is seeking a Legal Assistant to support the work of our U.S. Legal Services Department in our New York office. The Legal Assistant position will provide administrative support to U.S. Legal Department staff by, amongst other tasks, monitoring a docket of cases by communicating with clients, monitoring case progress and updating case files accordingly. Candidates who are interested in obtaining partial Department of Justice Accreditation with IRAP’s support may also handle a small docket of active immigration cases. The position will report to the Legal Support Manager and work closely with Legal Services Department staff. This is an exciting opportunity for a well-organized, motivated individual interested in refugees, human rights, and immigration/international law to be part of a growing organization that makes an impact on the lives of refugees and other displaced persons.
Location: Candidate will work in our New York office.
- Monitor assigned docket, escalating legal matters as appropriate.
- Communicate regularly with clients on assigned docket; communicate with other clients as requested and appropriate.
- Provide administrative support to IRAP attorneys for their direct services case work, including fact-checking, proofreading, redacting, note-taking, filing, mailing, formatting, gathering and organizing documents, and organizing meetings.
- Provide administrative and logistical support for case work quality assurance mechanisms and case file management.
- Enter, maintain, and organize data.
- Conduct client intakes as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or 4+ years of relevant work experience required.
- Prior experience working in an office environment (paid or unpaid) preferred.
- Motivated to provide administrative and logistical support in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to manage and prioritize a diverse workload with flexibility and strong time management skills.
- Strong organizational skills, analytical skills, and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Sensitivity to client empowerment and to working with clients of all backgrounds, including LGBTI clients, survivors of trauma, and other vulnerable populations.
- Familiarity with and orientation towards technology systems, including Microsoft, Adobe, and Google Suite.
- Fluency in spoken and written English required.
- Additional languages (particularly Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Kurdish, Pashto, Somali, and/or Spanish) are a plus.
SALARY: $49,014 – $64,184 depending on years of experience.This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
IRAP offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits including healthcare and retirement plans, a flexible work schedule, and vacation and sick leave.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references at this link. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue on a rolling basis.