The International Refugee Assistance Project (“IRAP”) is a dynamic legal, policy, and advocacy organization that works to develop and enforce a system of legal and human rights for refugees and displaced people around the world.
IRAP operates offices in the U.S. (New York City, Washington, D.C.), Jordan (Amman), Lebanon (Beirut), and Germany (Berlin). Our legal teams work closely with a corps of pro bono lawyers from leading law firms and multinational corporations, and law students who have created IRAP chapters across the United States and Canada. Through this work, we aim to assist refugees and other displaced people to find safe passage and to transform the landscape of refugee rights in the U.S. and internationally. IRAP has over 80 full-time staff members. We are a nimble organization staffed by an innovative and collaborative team that is committed to high standards of quality and close partnerships with our clients, peers, and colleagues.
IRAP believes that diversity is critical to fostering a strong workplace and serving our clients well. We strongly encourage applications from people with lived experiences in the communities that we serve, members of other marginalized communities, and individuals whose identities are underrepresented in the legal profession.
IRAP’s Policy Department consists of seven policy staff working out of the New York, NY and Washington, D.C. offices. The Policy Department utilizes lessons learned in direct legal aid casework and works with creative, non-partisan coalitions to advocate for systemic changes that benefit broader groups and communities on refugees and displaced populations.
IRAP’s Policy Department seeks a Policy Assistant to provide administrative and programmatic support to its policy work. This position will report to the Supervisory Policy Counsel and work closely with Policy staff to facilitate and further IRAP’s systemic advocacy to improve immigration programs in the United States and abroad. This is an exciting opportunity for a well-organized, motivated individual interested in forced migration, human rights, and immigration/international law to be part of a growing organization that makes an impact on the lives of refugees and other displaced persons.
The Policy Assistant will:
- Track and monitor legal, policy and media developments related to IRAP’s work.
- Draft and edit policy-related communications, such as action alerts, outreach emails, and blog posts.
- Conduct research and analysis on relevant policy issues.
- Provide administrative support, including scheduling, filing, record-keeping, handling mail, note-taking, proofreading, and making travel arrangements, as needed.
- Prepare staff for external meetings and work with the Communications department to assist with media interviews as needed.
- Provide logistics and other events-related support.
- Input data and maintain departmental databases.
Location: The candidate will work in IRAP’s office in Washington, D.C. Occasional travel may be required, particularly to the New York City office.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated interest in working in a legal services organization with a focus on forced migration and refugee policy.
The successful candidate will also:
- Possess strong research, writing, and editing skills;
- Be highly organized and able to handle a variety of tasks, including office duties and research and writing assignments;
- Multi-task, balance a flexible workload with a volume of ad hoc tasks, and have excellent time management skills;
- Demonstrate an ability and motivation to work and learn independently;
- Be comfortable learning to work with a variety of software suites, databases, and technologies; and
- Be legally authorized to work in the United States.
This is a union position subject to a collective bargaining agreement. The salary range is $49,014 – $64,184, with actual salary commensurate with relevant paid work experience.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, 2-3 page writing sample, and a list of three references at this link. Review of applications will start immediately.