Externs, Interns, and Fellows
IRAP seeks to sponsor law students who are participating in formal externship programs through their law schools to extern at IRAP for a minimum of three months in our New York City office. IRAP will consider full-time or part-time externships. Supplementary financial aid may be available. Legal externs will primarily be supervised by attorneys within IRAP’s Legal department, which provides direct legal assistance to refugees and visa applicants located overseas. Externs may have the opportunity to collaborate with multiple other departments including Policy, Communications, and Operations. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a growing agency that makes an important impact on the lives of refugees.
IRAP is willing to discuss adapting responsibilities to fit the requirements of specific externship programs.
- Conducting intake interviews with refugees to determine needs and refugee claims, and drafting intake reports as part of IRAP’s case screening process
- Drafting legal briefs and memos in support of at-risk and vulnerable refugee cases submitted to the U.S. government or the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Preparing affidavits and other evidence to reinforce claims
- Researching refugee law or human rights country conditions
- Researching refugee sponsorship and related programs as part of IRAP’s Alternative Pathways work
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and pursuing an advanced degree in law
- Interest in refugee law and/or processing, human rights, and international law
- Must be highly organized and motivated, able to multi-task, and have excellent time management skills
- Strong research, writing, and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfortable working with diverse populations
- Ability to be flexible in a fast-paced and high-pressure work environment
- Fluency in oral and written English; ability to speak other languages is a plus
- Microsoft Suite required
IRAP welcomes applications from diverse candidates. This is an unpaid externship, although need-based supplementary financial aid may be available.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, short writing sample (3-5 pages), and a list of three references using the application form available here. We will review applications on a rolling basis.