IRAP seeks a Legal Services Coordinator based in Amman to work with IRAP’s Jordan Program Director to provide legal assistance to vulnerable refugees in Jordan.
- Conducting field interviews with refugees, generally in Arabic, and drafting intake reports as part of IRAP’s case screening process.
- Providing direct representation in UNHCR refugee status determination, U.S. Special Immigrant Visa, and USCIS refugee interviews and proceedings, including accompanying refugees to interviews.
- Managing volunteer legal advisors, intake staff, and interpreters, including developing and conducting trainings in refugee law.
- Liaising with relevant NGO partners and other stakeholders in Jordan on IRAP’s behalf, and conducting capacity building trainings to assist local NGO’s serving refugees in understanding relevant UNHCR procedures.
- Facilitating the work of IRAP law student and attorney teams to represent vulnerable refugees, including direct client engagement, field research, local advocacy, emergency assistance and referral to other aid organizations as necessary.
- Conducting field research in Jordan in order to prepare formal and informal briefings on issues affecting refugee rights or particularly vulnerable refugee populations.
- LLB, LLM, JD, or equivalent legal education; admitted to practice law in Jordan or U.S.; or more than 2 years experience working in refugee matters.
- Experience working with refugees or vulnerable individuals, in particular with victims of serious trauma.
- Flexibility to work on a wide variety of projects, the organizational skills to balance direct client assistance with research and writing, and the drive to execute projects with long-distance supervision.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Arabic (required).
- Experience conducting human rights field research.
- Prior professional experience in the Middle East.
- Understanding of the challenges facing refugees in the Middle East.
- Managerial experience or familiarity with the supervision of volunteers.
Salary is commensurate with experience and on a local salary scale. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, CV, and writing sample to Catherine Crooke, at email@example.com, with the subject “Jordan Legal Services Coordinator.”