UPDATE: Thanks to all those who applied! We are no longer accepting applications for this role.
IRAP is now seeking legal interns to work part-time in its NYC office during Spring 2015. If you’re interested, please see below for full details. Please also share with your networks!
Role and Responsibilities
Legal Interns/Externs in IRAP’s New York office will work directly with refugees in the Middle East and assist IRAP staff and attorneys with the screening and preparation of legal cases. They will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience, including by:
- Conducting initial intake interviews with clients;
- Preparing affidavits and other evidence;
- Researching factual and legal claims;
- Drafting memorandums and briefs; and
- Liaising with partner NGOs and IGOs.
The internship is flexible, but requires a part-time commitment of 10-12 hours per week throughout the semester. This is an unpaid internship. IRAP’s staff in the Middle East and in New York will jointly supervise all participants.
Experience and Qualifications
- J.D. candidates preferred.
- Independence, flexibility, and self-motivation.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- A demonstrated interest in refugee law and human rights.
- Experience working with emotionally challenging subject matter and/or victims of trauma preferred.
- Ability to interview refugees in Arabic is helpful, but not required.
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, short writing sample (no more than 10 pages in length), and a list of three references to email@example.com with the subject “IRAP Spring 2015 NYC Legal Internship.” Applicants are encouraged to submit materials as early as possible, as decisions are made on a rolling basis.