UPDATE: Thanks to all those who applied! We are no longer accepting applications for this role.
IRAP is now seeking legal interns to work in its overseas offices during Summer 2015. If you’re interested, please see below for full details. Please also share with your networks!
Role and Responsibilities
Legal Interns will work directly with refugees in the Middle East and assist IRAP staff and attorneys with the screening and preparation of legal cases. They will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience, including by:
- Conducting initial intake interviews with clients;
- Preparing affidavits and other evidence;
- Researching factual and legal claims;
- Drafting memorandums and briefs; and
- Liaising with partner NGOs and IGOs.
The internship is a minimum of ten weeks and is full-time. This is an unpaid internship. IRAP can accept Legal Interns for positions in Jordan or Lebanon. IRAP’s staff in the Middle East and in New York will jointly supervise the Legal Interns.
Experience and Qualifications
- Ability to interview refugees in Arabic required.
- J.D. candidates preferred.
- Independence, flexibility, and self-motivation.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- A demonstrated interest in refugee law and human rights.
- Experience working with emotionally challenging subject matter and/or victims of trauma preferred.
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, short writing sample (no more than 10 pages in length), and a list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “IRAP Summer 2015 Overseas Legal Internship.” Applicants are encouraged to submit materials as early as possible, as decisions are made on a rolling basis.